Friday, May 30, 2014

Letter and Challenge from Coach Lorenson

WCA Wrestling Super Stars,

Just wanted to write quick and let you all know that I am going to miss having the opportunity to work with you guys in the wrestling room next year!  Sorry this is in the form of an email as I really wanted to talk to you guys in person, but unfortunately I blew that opportunity when you guys had your team meeting.  My decision to move to Fargo had nothing to do with you guys and certainly made it a very difficult decision knowing that I would have to step away from coaching the sport I love so much with a great group of kids!  What makes it even harder is not being involved with a program that has tremendous potential to do great things in the years to come.  With that being said, just because the potential exists doesn’t make it a foregone conclusion that success will happen so my hope is that you will work as hard as or harder than you have to get to this point.  I wanted to come up with a challenge for you guys over the summer to help keep you motivated, in addition to keeping myself motivated.  Unfortunately I wasn’t able to come up with anything, but the more I thought about the more I figured the challenge you guys make should come from within anyway.  So my challenge to you guys is to challenge YOURSELF to be the best you can be this summer and throughout the next season in any way you can!  Everyone is motivated differently and nobody knows what motivates you better than yourself.  Personally, there is nothing more that motivates me than a difficult challenge that I know I can complete.  So this summer I have challenged myself to train for the Bison Open wrestling tournament next fall.  It is something I have wanted to do for a long time, and now that I am living in Fargo there is a good chance I will have the opportunity to work out and train with the Bison wrestlers to help me prepare for the challenge I have put forth for myself.  I am not as concerned with competing in the Bison Open as I am with preparing myself mentally and physical for that possibility if it works out.  I have a tremendous amount of work to do to get to that point and I am looking forward to getting back into the best shape of my life!  J  I share that in hopes that it may inspire some of you at some point this summer when the workouts are getting hard and you just want to do something fun/easy!  I wanted to share this in person as well, but I had an opportunity to meet Dan Gable (So did Ty and Royal) a couple years back and we asked him what the best thing he did for himself when he was wrestling.  He responded that taking a summer job as a landscaper was the best thing he ever did.  His response initially shocked me, but he went on to talk about how it helped him prepare and strengthen himself (Physically and mentally) for the wrestling season!  He still wrestled when he could, but the attitude he took towards that “job” being something that was going to make him a better wrestler and not something that was going to take him away from fun with friends over the summer is the attitude that he approached his whole wrestling career with and the reason why he achieved the success he did!  So if you can pursue your offseason training this summer with that same attitude that everything you do is helping you become a better wrestler, success next fall will be even more likely!  If anyone wants to get ahold of me you can either email me at chad_lorenson@hotmail.com or call/text me on my cell at 701-740-7726.  It truly has been a pleasure working with such a great group of guys the last 3 years and I look forward to watching you all succeed on the mat next season from time to time . . . . . so yes, I do still plan on making it back to Barrett and some other tournaments whenever I can.  J  Have a great summer!!

Coach Lorenson

No comments:

Post a Comment